środa, 11 grudnia 2013

WIND VANE D.I.Y.

I'm think very serious about the wind vane on my boat. Why the wind vane, not modern autopilot helm ? Maybe I'm wrong, but these tiny linear actuators on the tiller looks me like a toys used for keep free hands for serving drinks on still waters somewhere close to Florida Keys. Not enough strong for Atlantic passage.
Second, any electrical failure on the sea doing the autopilots worthless.
I will equip my boat in the three independent battery lines, but anyway better will be have something what works without electricity.
Today I was in one D.I.Y market and I concluded, that almost everything what is necessary for build the advanced windvane I can buy there. Even the pendulum-servo gears.
I have a lot of tools and enough workshop space for trying to build the wind vane by myself. Also I have a friendly small brass, aluminium and iron sand casting foundry, who can cast for me the some more complicated parts. I must only deliver them the wooden models.
My wind vane will be for sure not so pretty like famous Aries, but will be usefull and reliable I hope.
Now is the time for collecting the plans which will be the base for my own CAD layout. (first I must master the CAD software). Outside is cold and wet, so I have not any other things to do. I'm a full of optimism. Shane Acton had on his Shrimpy the wind vane made by himself from the debries of plywood taken from the harbour and a few springs from scrapped car.




Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz